Skip to main content

Autoethnography - Decrypting Cultures

 



AUTO-ETHNOGRAPHY

Introduction

What is auto-ethnography?

According to Wikipedia, “auto-ethnography” is a form of qualitative research in which an author uses self-reflection and writing to explore anecdotal and personal experience and connect this autobiographical story to wider cultural, political, and social meanings and understandings.”

In this essay, I will attempt to describe the culture I come from through personal observations and research, with the aim of helping others from similar backgrounds to feel more connected to the experience and to better understand themselves. My hope is that they will thereby be better able to teach outsiders about the culture with its nuances and differences so that they will have a more accurate and objective perspective when interacting with people from similar backgrounds.

Cultural Background

In this essay, I choose to introduce the wider cultural background of the place in which I grew up: the Hungarian part of Serbia that was known as Yugoslavia before the civil war. Having Hungarian origins and parents, I always represented the “minority” in the country. That automatically meant not using my mother tongue in official situations, such as in the post office or in bigger stores. Very quickly I learned not to speak up and to stay in the background. Having also a more timid and introverted personality, I let the more extroverted people take over center stage. And these more extroverted people were usually the country’s native Serbs.  I grew up very close to the Hungarian border, within perhaps just a few miles. Yet, in spite of the fact that the closest Hungarian city was physically closer than the closest larger city on the other side of the border, I feel that I was influenced more by the lifestyle and culture of the “Yugoslavians” than that of Hungarians.


Culture

Serbian culture is as infuriating as it is addictive, and the idiosyncrasies of these magnificent people may well be what makes them so wonderful.

The idea of doing something precisely because you have been told you cannot, the acting out of proud defiance in the face of insurmountable odds, is very Serbian, such as organizing a fun run during NATO's aerial bombardment, or given a choice between your religion and death, choosing death. I can see how other cultures would easily interpret this behavior as fanatic or lunatic.

Celebration

Serbia is also famous for its parties, celebrations, and nightlife. Loud screaming, shouting, dancing on the table, drinking, singing are all part of this. People there know how to celebrate in the most passionate of ways, even at funerals. And yet I am not an outgoing person, rather I enjoy watching people celebrating and being part of it as an outsider. For other cultures, including for Hungarians, Serbs are loud, rough, and annoying, and they often misinterpret their openness and loud voices. And indeed there may have been incidents that some people took it too far and celebrations ended in disasters.

Family

Family and kinships are very important aspects in Serbia. This takes various forms, from people paying the entire bill at a restaurant or calling you late at night to find out how you are feeling. I think I miss this deep bond even today.

Origins and History

History is also very important for Serbians. Most of the people are ready to move on and release the horrific parts. And while other cultures interpret this aspect as being nationalistic, it’s undeniable that history plays a big part in shaping the nation and the country as it is today.

Food

What is even more important than history is food. There is always a large dish at a Serb home, and everyone who happens to visit the hosts is invited to sit at the table. I must admit I am still doing this. When I prepare food, I always make more because you never know who will stop by. And a piece of good advice: once you show up it’s better to accept the invitation unless you want to be labeled as a rude person.

Appearance is everything

When you look at people in Serbia, they are all extremely good-looking. The reason is that appearance is very important for them. Buying the latest fashion, driving the newest cars, using the latest tech innovations, was always part of the nation – no matter what it takes. This comes out as rather being superficial, but underneath it is really about ambition and that they believe they deserve all the best things in life.

Religion

People in Serbia respect the church. Religion still plays a vital role in the lives of many ordinary people.

Authority

The people of Serbia have never played nice with those in power. Serbs don’t like to be told what to do, especially by countries perceived as trying to police the world. Serbs have a national pride which sometimes veers into the obscene, but also means that they value the autonomy of the nation. You need to be an actual deity to exert any authority there. Well, it took me many years to understand that in the US the default attitude of the government offices is to help people.

No halfway measures

There is a commitment to passion that is lacking elsewhere, and this becomes tangible in many forms. When Serbs are interested in a subject they give themselves entirely to it, and there are no half-measures. If you’re going to try something, why wouldn’t you throw yourself into it? Just look at famous tennis players such as Monika Seleš, Novak Đoković, or the basketball players, Vlade Divac, or Predrag Stojaković.

Famous Serbian Quotes

I collected a few famous Serbian quotes that, in my opinion, perfectly describe the values this nation is driven by: loyalty, friendship, ambition, honesty, good time, never give up, pride, reputation, appearance, independence.

      Your ancestor's glory should not prevent you from winning your own.

      If you humble yourself too much, you will get trampled on.

      You don't need a candle to look for a fool.

      It is not at the table but in prison that you learn who your true friends are.

      You can judge what you make by what others make.

      When your wine is finished, conversation ends; when your money has been spent, you lose your friends.

History and Personal Fate Intertwined

Serbia is largely mountainous. Its northeast section is part of the rich, fertile Danubian Plain drained by the Danube, Tisa, Sava, and Morava river systems. It borders Croatia on the northwest, Hungary on the north, Romania on the northeast, Bulgaria on the east, Macedonia on the south, and Albania, Montenegro, and Bosnia and Herzegovina on the west. Serbia was one of six republics that made up the country of Yugoslavia, which broke up in the 1990s.

Serbs settled the Balkan Peninsula in the 6th and 7th centuries and adopted Christianity in the 9th century. In 1166, Stefan Nemanja, a Serbian warrior and chief, founded the first Serbian state. By the 14th century, under the rule of Stefan Dušan, it became the most powerful state in the Balkans.

Perhaps it tells even more about the fiery nature of the people who live there that both of the two World Wars started in the region. World War I began when a Serbian nationalist assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria in 1914, which led to Austria's declaration of war against Serbia and within months all Europe was at war. In 1941 the Nazis occupied the country. The Partisans under Josip Broz Tito fought the Nazis for the duration of the war. In 1943, Tito established a provisional government. Tito ruthlessly eliminated the opposition and broke with the Soviet bloc in 1948. Yugoslavia followed a middle road, combining orthodox Communist control of politics and general overall economic policy with a varying degree of freedom in the arts, travel, and individual enterprise.



And I think this is still a valid description of the many charms the country offers to its residents and guests: a strong control that manifests through a subtle dictatorship that is based on intangible values such as loyalty, trust, and pride, while at the same time offering a certain freedom to its people to “survive and fight” and to have a life they want to have as long as they demonstrate similar enthusiasm and loyalty to the country and government.

I was born in the ‘80s when Tito was still president. He was either seen as a strong dictator or a philanthropist with a very strong sense of diplomacy. His internal policies maintained the peaceful coexistence of the nations of the Yugoslav federation including Croats, Serbs, Muslims, Bosnians, Slovenes, and Hungarians, among others. Yugoslavia had a liberal travel policy, permitting foreigners to travel freely through the country and its citizens to travel worldwide, whereas travel was limited by most Communist countries, including Hungary. I remember that as a child, my family had regular visits to countries like Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. My father was the first individual to be licensed by Volkswagen and Audi from Germany as a mechanic in Yugoslavia. We led a semi-Western, semi-Balkan lifestyle. My family had a wide group of closer and wider friends from literally all nationalities. We invited each other to meals and shared our foods, drinks, and customs. There was no question that being different was just another aspect of the colorful and rich lifestyle people led in ‘80s Yugoslavia. However, I remember my father telling me that he did not like that Tito led a Communists government. He believed in capitalism and most of all, he wanted us, his children never to stop practicing our Catholic religion, which was not allowed during that time. If I think about it, Serbia or Yugoslavia was always about contradiction: extremely friendly, open, and accommodating but very cruel if you crossed a certain line. In a sense, I think this remains the same but has a different garment on it.

After Tito's death in 1980, the feared clash of Yugoslavia's multiple nationalities and regions appeared to have been averted. However, under the dictatorship of the new president, Slobodan Milošević. his arch-nationalism and calls for Serbian domination inflamed ethnic tensions and spurred on the breakup of Yugoslavia. Because we lived close to the border, the cruelty did not reach us. We were not affected closely, but the news was continuously screening the happenings. At that point, the borders were still open. My father’s car business was very successful, but we started to feel the effect of the war. He slowly needed to release his employees, sell his extra machines and cars, but we still carried on. After the separation of Slovenia, and Croatia, the Serbian army carried out ruthless campaigns of ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and Hercegovina, which involved the expulsion or massacre of Muslims.

One day my parents told us that we needed to share our home and life with four women who were the daughters and cousins of a Bosnian family my parents were friends with. The parents stayed behind in Sarajevo, and we never heard from them again. Our lives changed dramatically. The four Muslim women lived in our Christian household for about eight months. After that, they managed to get refugee statuses in the Netherlands and other places.

 

Things came down to basics, such as whether we could buy fresh bread for the day? Or more, whether bread was still available in the stores? The Bosnian war did not end until NATO stopped it in 1995, when I was fifteen years old. The four-year-long war resulted in 250,000 deaths and another 2.7 million became refugees. The war also brought the country to a near economic collapse.

But that was not the end. Another war started in Kosovo that lasted until 1999. By that time all the borders were closed, and we were shut off from all media or communication except the official government radio and television, which did not stop pouring its propaganda and false news. In the last year of the war, NATO started to bomb Serbian targets, including radio and TV stations. Some of these bombs were very close to our home. The government created signs with the word “Target” on them as part of their propaganda to turn the country’s image into a victim’s identity. Much to my surprise, with the many deaths and loss, some people actually believed this. I remember how horrified I was the first time I came to the US and I saw the big “Target” shopping signs. I still can’t get used to them, as it reminds me of those very intense last months.



It also happened that I was graduating from high school, but because of the bombardment, we never really started the Spring Semester and everyone graduated in June with no or reduced exams. It sounds like fun, but it was not. I was missing my friends: I did not like to be separated and I suffered from loneliness a lot. People think that it is easy to adjust to good things and favorable circumstances, but it is not easy with bad things. I don’t think that human psychology works that way. After a certain while, we adjust to what we have been given. And depending on the person, we take out our own experiences. This happened to me as well. When I first arrived in the US in 2004, I had difficulties accommodating to the culture, or what I called the “no-culture”. I judged people being superficial, shallow, and narrow-minded as well as selfish and egocentric. I compared my experience and difficulties with their lives - going to gym, shopping in the mall, driving giant vehicles, and having very little sense of loyalty or connectedness to customs, traditions, or other people. At the same time, I don’t deny that I might have come on a little “weird”. First of all, I never smiled. I was always serious and while I have changed a lot internally since then, this default facial expression remained with me if I don't pay attention to it.


Yet, I think one part of me is grateful that I was able to witness a historical event like the civil war because I feel that it made me who I am today. I am able to feel more compassion for other people and cultures. And perhaps the fact that many nationalities and religions were able to live peacefully together in such a boiling pot as Yugoslavia seemed so natural to me as a child in the ‘80s, now enables me to see that those things almost never happen naturally or automatically. There is effort behind it. There is work, and understanding, empathy, compassion, openness, and a clear mind. Without these, there is only chaos and destruction.



 

Resources:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/serbia/articles/11-things-you-should-know-about-serbian-culture/

https://www.inspirationalstories.com/proverbs/t/serbian/

https://www.infoplease.com/world/countries/serbia/history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josip_Broz_Tito

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I switched to Google Sites?

In the last few months, I have successfully rebuilt and relocated all my small business websites to Google Sites. You may wonder why, and what services I used it before. Here is my story. I am a graduate student in the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey in the Translation and Localization Management program, and this spring semester I took Website Localization classes. Just to give you an idea of what my studies are about, localization refers to the process of adapting content related to an idea, service, or product to the language and culture of a specific market or region. During the course, we were exposed to a wide variety of technologies and tools, such as the fundamental web technologies of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, as well as dynamic WordPress websites localized with Polylang and WPML, Drupal websites, translating with SEO in mind, and advanced topics such as Node.js and PHP. We have touched upon the fundamental tools of dynamic website creation, websit

Discussion: Managing Stakeholders

A point of view of a freelance localizer and translator Who was the stakeholder and what was their role? For this discussion, I am going to use my freelancing experiences and use my clients as stakeholders. These clients are mainly LSPs and within that, primarily need to deal with translation project managers or project coordinators. In some cases they are more on the junior side, meaning they are not involved that much in the entire project but only in the coordination between linguists, and in some cases, they are senior project managers who have more interests in the project outcome because they need to manage them from beginning to end and they also need to deal with their clients. In some cases, depending also on the client and the size of the company, the project manager can be the owner or the president of the organization at the same time. As I mainly had pleasant experiences with these stakeholders, I am going to explain how I learned to deal with them in general going into de

Fearless Workplace and Psychological Safety

  We live in a world where success is a matter of solving problems and coming up with the next big idea. It’s not enough anymore to be smart and hardworking. Organizations need their employees to collaborate, experiment and respond to their business needs that are constantly changing. But in many workplaces, people lack the confidence to do this silenced by fear and failure, judgmental colleagues, or unapproachable bosses. When leaders use fear to motivate, people can turn to extremes and dangerous methods to get the job done. And when fear gets in the way of people speaking up at work, it’s not only the individuals who miss out. No one wakes up in the morning saying and thinking that as soon as they arrive at the office, they want to look ignorant, incompetent, intrusive or negative. Well, it’s easy to manage that: if you don’t want to look ignorant, don’t ask questions. If you don’t want to look incompetent, don’t admit your mistakes and failures. If you don’t want to appear incompet