Skip to main content

Why I switched to Google Sites?


In the last few months, I have successfully rebuilt and relocated all my small business websites to Google Sites. You may wonder why, and what services I used it before. Here is my story.

I am a graduate student in the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey in the Translation and Localization Management program, and this spring semester I took Website Localization classes. Just to give you an idea of what my studies are about, localization refers to the process of adapting content related to an idea, service, or product to the language and culture of a specific market or region. During the course, we were exposed to a wide variety of technologies and tools, such as the fundamental web technologies of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, as well as dynamic WordPress websites localized with Polylang and WPML, Drupal websites, translating with SEO in mind, and advanced topics such as Node.js and PHP. We have touched upon the fundamental tools of dynamic website creation, website localization workflows, and Web Content Management Systems (CMS). My final work was exploring headless CMS technology (read the article here) and creating and localizing a static website using Contentful, Gatsby, and Netlify.

Yet, today I am going to write about Google Sites from a point of view of a small business owner and student.

What is Google Sites?

Google Sites is a structured wiki- and web-page creation tool included as part of the free, web-based Google Docs Editors suite. The service also includes Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, Google Forms, and other Google apps, as well as various additional features.

Google Sites works within your Google Workspace and it's free for everyone. If you are already using Google Workspace, you will very quickly become familiar with Google Sites as well. In fact, after a few hours of trying, you will be able to put together a decent website or portfolio. And this is already something to start praising about the application.

But let's rewind a bit.

Before Google Sites

Before Google Sites, I was using Wix for all my websites, including my blogs, my online shop, and other business functions. It started in 2015 when I became a freelancer and realized that for my professional image, I would need a website to start advertising my services. I knew that I was not going to hire a web developer as I just needed a starter page, something to show a legitimate professional online presence. When I found Wix, I was easily caught. At that time, Wix did not have their ADI services, and I put together my first website with their drag and drop tool, and honestly, it did not look too impressive. But I made it, I was proud of it, and it was a big thing that I made my own website with no knowledge about programming and coding at all. When they introduced their ADI technology, I simply switched to a professional template, filled in the required information, and voilá, I had a somewhat professional-looking website. A few years later, I opened my other business, an online store, and when I was weighing my options between Shopify and Wix, I decided upon Wix Stores, partly, because I already used Wix and it was so easy and enjoyable to pull together a website that looked astonishing.

Only when I took the Website Localization classes at the university did I realize that although Wix is an easy solution, for those who know anything about website building, Wix is not really a serious solution. Again, please don't misunderstand me. I don't dislike Wix. But it took me several years to understand that the reason I didn't visit, didn't develop, and didn't improve my Wix sites, and thus my web presence, was that I did not enjoy using Wix. In fact, it became more and more a burden. You ask why? What did Wix change? Not much. But Wix started to offer various features, a forum, a member log-in, and other stuff that I simply did not even have the patience to look at.

For someone who uses other applications for project management and task management, I did not want Wix to take over and replace all my favorite to-do or note-taking applications. Instead, I wanted Wix to integrate with all these programs. But Wix just became bigger and started to offer an endless number of features, while at the same time there were other things on my website that stayed the same and did not change or improve because I did not know what to do with them. How to personalize the fonts? How to include a more personal touch into those very professional-looking site templates without having to switch to a drag and drop tool? It felt like I was hooked in, and I started to feel that all I wanted was to escape.

Besides, all these wonderful sites started to cost me more money. A little upgrade here and there, and you start wondering why your next invoice is going to be over $500? Of course, they always offer some good deals to hook you in, but unfortunately, as soon as the year ends, you need to start paying the full price, otherwise you will lose the nice features you just upgraded for.

The Switch

So, when I realized that weeks and months had passed without even logging in to check on my sites, I knew I need to change. I felt overwhelmed by Wix. You know, it was like a relationship when everything is just fine and you cannot really say what's wrong but you spend more time somewhere else, and one day you just realize that your partner created an impressive looking web (literally, ha-ha!), but your individuality suffers.

In the Website Localization class, we started to use WordPress: recreating and building sites on WordPress and localizing, translating them. I knew about WordPress before, and had actually started to use it before Wix, but it did not go anywhere. Whether I was too inexperienced or WordPress was just an upgraded blogging tool, somehow we did not create a lasting bond. So, now five years later, I thought: I am going to switch and finally my WordPress time will arrive. But yet again it did not happen.

In the meantime, I built up or recreated a simple blogging static website using a headless CMS, called Contentful. I still don't know much about coding, but I enjoyed the basics of changing style, format, and functions on my new ePortfolio site that looked nothing like others'. Unfortunately, my coding skills put a limit on this project. I realized that no matter how much I want it, I cannot create a website without serious programming. Otherwise, that would be my first choice: a totally personalized website that reflects my personality and skills. But I am not a programmer, I am a project manager, a business owner, a localizer, and a translator.

And that's when I found Google Sites.

The Google Sites Blast

The best thing about Google Sites, compared to any CMSs or website building tools, is that you can easily personalize it using the already familiar Google elements or apps. For sure, there is a limit to what you can do, but I found that this limit is generous enough to play around with the features and place them the way you want to place them. After I created four sites with the tool, I can say that I am really happy about how my websites look. I want to visit them every day. I have a new idea, I want to figure out how can I make that happen, and with Google Sites, you just need to use a little logic and magic happens. Like embedding a contact form or a booking from the CRM tool that I own for my business. Or integrating my YouTube videos. Or adding a Google Form for customer satisfaction. Or to add an online store using Ecwid with it. And honestly, that's how I measure success. Wix's many features just put me off rather than inviting me to be more creative. I felt like my creative wings were cut off, and that's not really me. I like easy solutions but I like the personal style as well.

So, as of now, I am still in love with my Google Sites. I started to write more blogs and articles and started to study site analytics, and that's simply because it's so nice that my websites reflect the person I am, and I enjoy showcasing them.

 In any case, I hope you enjoyed my article. I did not by any means intend to give a negative review about any of the other website-building tools and CMSs. I think they are all wonderful in their own ways.

And I wouldn’t be a real localizer if my next article wasn’t "How to localize a Google Sites webpage".

Check out these sites that were built by Google Sites, and if you like any of them and you want to have a similar one for your business,  your portfolio, or anything to showcase that will be yours forever for free, just drop me a line.

 

www.szvobodatrans.com

www.atriumanna.com

www.miriamsoracle.com

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Difficult Stakeholders - The Overbearing and the Poor Stakeholders

  Managing Stakeholders Have you ever heard the phrase “the stakes are high"? When we talk about “stakes,” we are referring to the important parts of a business, situation, or project that might be at risk if something goes wrong. To hold a stake in a business, situation, or project means you are invested in its success. Every successful team needs strong leadership and membership and program managers need to be able to manage stakeholders successfully as project managers need to deal with the specific tasks and activities of the project itself. Technical problems are not hard, people are hard and it’s inevitable that we run into a situation when we need to deal with difficult stakeholders. Let’s review quickly the steps for managing stakeholders: Steps for Managing Stakeholders Step 1: Identifying and analyzing stakeholders which is the process of identifying and analyzing the people, teams, or organizations that could impact or be impacted by a decision, activity, or outcome of

Contentful Headless CMS - l10n & i18n

Exploring Contentful for Translation and Localization It seems there is a new buzzword in the website building industry: headless CMS (Content Management System). But what is exactly a headless CMS and how does it work? In this write-up, I am going to walk you through the different steps of how I explored one of the most popular headless CMSs, Contentful; how I created a simple website with it; and what approaches I took to localize the website into another language. In the end, I realized that I needed a completely different mindset on website building and localization in general. And I had a clear vision of when a headless CMS is useful and when it is recommended to use a traditional CMS, like WordPress, instead. Finally, I learned a lot about Node.js, Gatbsy.js, website deployment, and the many challenges i18n problems introduced into the subject. Part 1: Headless CMS & Contentful What is headless CMS? A headless CMS is a platform that has no default front-end system to determin